Wednesday, July 24, 2013

church

Okay, so it's no secret (at least not here ha ha) where I stand on religion, but this sign outside a church in Cape Town caught my eye recently.

I like it.


I like it because it's subtle, inviting without any brimstone, and because it seems to acknowledge the real reason people should embrace religion - for comfort, fellowship, inclusion - not fear, guilt or from a sense of duty.

I may also like it because I like this church, it's probably the one I've been to most in my life (and that's not a whole lot). Christenings, Christmas carols, weddings and most recently, a funeral.

Comfort, fellowship, inclusion - some things I've never felt from religion, but yet will always be reminded of by this church building.

4 comments:

molly said...

funny, i could have written those same words, molly. strange, and very cool, the vitals we have in common.

Molly said...

Indeed! I've often thought that reading yours too. I'm going over there to catch up right now!

julochka said...

I always liked churches as buildings - especially the Russian or even Greek/Slavic orthodox kinds. they feel like places where if there is a god, s/he would be there, listening. but perhaps that's just good architecture speaking...

Molly said...

Good architecture yes, but also the people who occupy that space and the feelings they bring to it. Both factors could be the difference between 'old fashioned' churches and cavernous halls filled with amplified sound and screeching hell fire ...