Monday, August 31, 2009

crumbs

When someone once asked me what our strategy was with regards to conceiving a second child I, not very politely or tactfully, joked that we'd decided that on Frieda's 2nd birthday, when we'd waved goodbye to the last guests and gotten the birthday girl to bed, we'd drop and conceive the 'duty sibling' right there on the carpet amongst the cake crumbs and discarded wrapping paper.

And, um, not to overshare or anything, but it seems that's kinda what happened ... I'm sure we packed the dishwasher and put the dog out first (and frankly I'm really astounded we had the energy - those penguin cupcakes were hard work), but ja, looks like it all went down that weekend.

I'm not an events coordinator for nothing see.

And so from cake crumbs to cracker crumbs, in our bed, first thing in the morning, as I staved off some very mild morning queasiness. To the crumbs of energy that I mustered to write the pathetic handful of entries I've made here the last couple of months. To the crumb(ling) emotional moments I've had when The Reality of it all has seemed overwhelming. To the first crumbs of excitement and wonder as my belly's swelled (astoundingly quickly this time round!).

To the little crumb of a thing we met this morning at our first scan. 12 weeks and 3 days old, 7 cm long, waving hands and kicking legs, opening and closing its little teeny-weeny mouth. Hello you, here beginith a story indeed ...

Oh and PS, I hereby banish the phrase 'duty sibling' and will from now on vehemently deny ever having coined it or used it. 'Cos it's my blog so I can see : )

21 comments:

julochka said...

congratulations, you. you're gonna do just fine. and i'm going to start making a little quilt. maybe in rainbow colors, just to cover all the possibilities.

Extranjera said...

Congratulations! That's awesome, that's totally awesome.
Mwah!

Indiri Wood said...

Congratulations! Those first moments with little waving fingers are so thrilling!

I got more than a few horrified looks by not so tactfully pointing out that my second child was concieved on my oldest's first birthday. I was annoyed when people kept pointing out that my kids were so close in age (as if I hadn't noticed?). I was only half kidding when I said it was the first time he'd taken a nap and I wasn't exhausted so, well, you know.

clairedulalune said...

Congratulations on your news! Fantastic!

iasa said...

Adding my congratulations. For awhile i referred to our second child as Operation Brother Distractor. I had to stop when the firstborn starting telling strangers 'mommy is growing me a disaster'

rxBambi said...

Ditto my congrats as well! How very wonderful for everyone! Mine are 23 months apart. Let me know when you're ready for stories...

Cwybrow said...

congrats! you're very intrepid.

Sarah Anne said...

Awesome! Happy for you!

Chris said...

Congratulations!! Such great news!

Kim said...

Congratulations. And you'll have a great story to tell the new one when the time comes to ask "mommy where did I come from"

@Sara - my brother and sister are a year and a day apart. don't worry...

kristina said...

congratulations! exciting news :-)

MissBuckle said...

Yay.. I love all the worlds new citizens. Enjoy the alien.

Amanda said...

hip hip hooray! Another little Molly on this earth is exactly what we all need! Many hugs and congrats!

Heather Moore said...

What a beautifully-written post. Congrats!

Sarah said...

Oh Molly! I am so excited for you! I am jumping up and down as I type this! Congratulations!

caroldiane said...

Very exciting news - I am still in the bliss of my first grandbaby 6 weeks old now, I can just imagine how thrilled I will be when they have number two!

Janet said...

happy happy joy joy! this is just the cutest post. and i do hope you're feeling much better by now.

Fi said...

Ooooooh hurrah! Well done - never did things go so accordingly to plan! I can't wait to follow your pregnancy journey. (And your little one will arrive just about in time to make me get all broody for my own second born ;))

xxxxxxxx

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse said...

Oh Molly, that's fantastic! I'm just now getting around to reading so many blogs so sorry I didn't give a shout out earlier! This child will have so many Blogaunties it's ridiculous!

Unknown said...

How exciting! Congratulations! I'm so glad I finally had time to do the round around the blogs and didn't miss this!

Lynne said...

Its great news!
so cool... they'll be almost 3 years apart then. My sons are too and it was great. The older one has had enough time to enjoy being the baby before number 2 comes.