Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I ...

 ... have been very preoccupied and absent from this here blog ...

 ... had a good laugh at this yesterday, McNulty reading Pride & Prejudice, have you ever? (thanks SuperFi!) ...

 ... say thanks Ext, for the shout-out, she's becoming a real Souf Efriken, what with driving atrociously and complaining about her maid ...

 ... feel sorry for our leaky pup, who is confined to the tiled areas of the house whilst still on heat, and hasn't been getting as many walks as she deserves (due to my reluctance to fight off packs of horny mongrels in the park) ...

 ... am starting to feel overwhelmed by the piles of clutter in my home. Sometimes, late at night, I feel like they're watching me, and rubbing their little cluttery hands together with proprietal glee ...

 ... am too tired at the end of each day to deal with them and have started thinking it may be simpler just to charge them rent ...

 ... would desperately love to own this book, as much for myself as for Frieda (scroll along the link, well worth the read) ...

 ... optimistically put my wheelie bin out on the pavement every morning, and then bring it in, still full, every night. Power to the People and all that but dear god let this municipal strike end soon and the rubbish men get back to work!

 ... have been thoroughly enjoying Postcrossing. Introduced by B (thank you!), I've only sent and received a few cards, but it's been fun (and can I just say I'm kinda glad it's not just Americans I'm meeting ... )

 ... felt like James Bond this week when I went, with a friend, to fetch her car off the train from Joburg. We got to drive along the platform (the actual platform) of Cape Town station, narrowly wedged between a train and the station pillars, pedestrians with wheelie suitcases throwing themselves out of our path. Any minute I could've veered sharp left onto the tracks and raced after some evil villan. Alas, there was no need ...

 ... saw the 'Ghost Squad' in action today when a traffic officer on an unmarked motorbike pulled a taxi [or, 'lethal van packed full of people' - Ext again] over for 'rat-running' down my suburban road. Frieda and I cheered from the gate. Well, cheered quietly that is, those taxi drivers are mean ... (mental note to self: seriously no chatting on the phone while driving. Seriously.)

 ... am so proud of my little brother, who left today to present his PhD paper at an ESA conference in Albuquerque. He has such a very big brain. To hide how intimidated I am I just keep quoting Bugs Bunny and giggling ...

6 comments:

Extranjera said...

Dude. I so know how you feel (about brother, other stuff: who knows? not me). You're proud, yet incredibly humbled (read: wtf happened with my birth peeps?!?!) Both of my little brothers whop my brain coming AND going. Try being smart with MIT.

Copenhagen university. You are inferior.

Sarah said...

Have missed you Molly! But am glad the piles haven't gotten you yet. Perhaps you need an organizer from Canada to come and help ;)

AnnaB said...

There's more than one B?!

Fi said...

Ahh McNulty you infuriate me with your reading!

Nice to see you blogging :)

Sarah Anne said...

My brother is like that. He'll get his PhD in about a year I think. Yikes.

Chamois said...

<3 the Carte Noire; I'll be checking back there weekly now so that I can have intelligent literary conversations with people who have actually read the books.

Found your blog thanks to a reference from Extranjera - Guess it's a good thing I'm just now catching up on blog readings instead of ignoring them and then getting further confused by back-references at a later date.

Anyway, I think I overfed the fish.