Friday, June 19, 2009

penguin cupcakes!

Dudes, seriously.

I'm impressed, if I do say so myself.

  • black food colouring powder (which only really achieved a battle-ship grey with butter icing, dear Husband darkened the mix with a highly technical addition of exact amounts of blue and red food colouring. I like to call it pewter.)
  • white dots made from Royal Icing and left to harden overnight, inspired by this magnificence
  • beaks & feet cut from the orange layers of Liquorice Allsorts - thanks for the tip Z!
  • wings from the black layers (again, Husband's brilliant input)
So a collaborative effort all round, but I'm still claiming them as my Number 29.
Oh and the kids (remember them?), they loved them too. Although black pewter icing makes for some pretty ghoulish looking 2 yr olds!
And also, please can I not bake any cake tonight? Thanks. More festivities tomorrow ...

15 comments:

Sarah said...

DUDE: Am WAY impressed with your mad skills.

Chris said...

Those are awesome Molly! Great job! I'm glad you defined the ingredients though....my first thought was that the orange feet were made out of cheese!

Fi said...

Ooh that is a very very lucky two year old! Happy birthday Frieda :) xo

Sarah Lulu said...

Fantastic!

Unknown said...

Awesome job! I can imagine all the Night of the Living Toddlers running around too!

Cindy said...

Molly those are way too cool. I thought the feet were cheese too. The kids would have loved these. I always love coming for a visit. Take care, cinner

Anonymous said...

these are so delightful! i dont think i've ever before been enticed by a black cup cake though! :)

rxBambi said...

Those are great! So glad you made your inner 2yo happy :) and your real life one as well.
I love the thought of black oops pewter icing on little kids. Cant wait to see photos

spudballoo said...

Brilliant!! Well done you, I'm in awe..think we need photos of the ghoulish 2 year olds!

Michel said...

wow. those look fab. Do they turn your teeth black??

clairedulalune said...

These are great Molly! Martha Stewart will be crapping herself if she see's these beauties! Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to little Frieda!

Janet said...

those are adorable! you did good!

Heather Moore said...

Wow, your penguins are adorable! And the more there are of them, the more adorable they become. Bet you almost wanted to snatch them from the 2-year-old jaws...

Seaside Girl said...

They are brilliant. I can imagine what the 2 years looked like after though....

Hope you all had a fantastic day.

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse said...

I've been studying these all week and continue to be impressed everytime I look at this picture. Well done, Molly!

And for the record, I'm disappointed there weren't accompanying photos of little black mouths and teeths.