Friday, February 20, 2009

nice work if you can get it... and I think I might just have!

So (yup, this is a justified so post), proving that you can't keep a good woman down for too long (unless you're George Clooney I guess, 'cos he could keep me... oops, I digress...) um, where was I?

Oh yes, just for the satisfaction of saying 'I told you so', the Universe has down an about-turn and made me a very happy girl today.

The exciting job possibility I've hinted at has come to some fruition and I'll be spending next month working for one of my favourite SA designers. I love her work - and her work ethic - and as her business is growing locally and internationally she's in need of a hand, and another brain, to help out with everything from stream-lining her studio to marketing to running stock orders. It'll be well paid part-time work (the best kind for me right now), in an industry quite removed from the ones I've worked in before. 

Which is almost the most exciting part. I spent 5 years in the film industry, as long again working for NGO's and I'm really keen to get into a different network and start anew the process of sniffing out who's who, joining the dots as to how the particular scene works, having those aha! moments as I make the connections of who knows who and how. It's a particularly favourite activity of mine (and I have a certain knack for it), so this'll definitely be part of the fun.

It'll also be very different in terms of scope and responsibility. So much of my work the last few years has involved working with huge groups of people, moving them around the country (and world) and managing logistics on a massive scale. This'll be a much more detailed focus, but still with a big impact.

We're doing a trial month, but both hope to continue the relationship beyond that so we'll see...

What I find really interesting is that back when I was considering the Most Exciting Job in the World (for me) and having the whole dilemma about whether or not I could take on a project like that right now etc, I was thinking how uncanny it was that I'd just a few months prior started really getting into the design world, through blogs and what have you, and how fortuitous that seemed in light of possibly working on this (which, incidentally, is coming up in CT next weekend and yes, if you must know, it still kinda hurts when I see the publicity and think I could've been involved. Sniff).

Anyhoo, when that all didn't happen etc I laughed that off as mere coincidence (maybe shrugged is a better word, I don't recall doing much laughing at the time), BUT maybe all my design blogging was for a purpose, and that purpose was this new job. Whaddaya think of that Oprah?

4 comments:

julochka said...

are you going to be working with who i think you're going to be working with? that's so exciting!!! :-) yay! big congratulations!!

julochka said...

p.s. at the moment it's hugh laurie (dr. gregory house, m.d.) that could keep me down... :-)

Anonymous said...

Ooh that's such good news! I am glad the MSF didn't work out and this has come about as it sounds perfect. Happy new job to you! xx

molly said...

congrats, molly, sounds like a really fun gig. i love all that stuff too...